Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Starting off life with a bang!

My parents divorced when I was about a year old. This is when my brother and I started our lives off with two families. I was only one, so I really don't remember anything about the split. So, I grew up with two families, living with my mom and step dad and visiting my dad and his wife every Thursday and every other weekend, which I guess is the normal divorce dynamic. I gained 3 new siblings, a stepbrother that belonged to my new step mom and a stepsister and stepbrother that belonged to my new step dad. I only had one constant in my life and that was my blood brother, my best friend and we went everywhere together. I love my two families and 4 sets of grandparents, along with all of my cousins. I knew nothing better, and it was great for me, still is. But, when going into elementary school I soon realized that my family was not the norm in a small town the size of mine. My brother and I in fact were, as I believe, really the only ones in our grades starting off school with divorced families. It was weird, but now looking back I realize that my small town was really just a freak of nature even at that time in 1988, I mean it was kind of like walking onto the set of "Leave it to Beaver" in all reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment